Doubts over next years EJ show were expressed by some Douglas councillors last week when it emerged details of the contract for use of the council-owned land had yet to be finalised.
According to the Examiner, Councillor David Ashford wondered if the organisers had received official permission for the concert from the council before the tickets actually went on sale.
”There is an important principle at stake here regarding an event advertised on our land, he said at the councils meeting last week.
”We all support the event but, as a point of principle, it is concerning that tickets are being advertised and sold before the land owner has agreed to it.”
His concerns were echoed by Councillor Jim Mitchell, who remarked: ”I am also concerned we were not approached about this permission for Nobles Park and no rent has been set for that date.”
The date set for the concert is June 16 next year.
It will use the marquee erected in Nobles Park for the Isle of Man Bay Festival on June 17 to 19 organised by promoter Street Heritage.
Mitchell also questioned the veracity of the event, which is being run by Marshall Arts Ltd.
”Im not knocking Elton John but this needs sorting. Elton actually coming? I hope it is all legitimate. All the tickets have been sold,” he said.
But Leisure Services Committee chairman Councillor Stephen Pitts rebuffed the doubts, suggesting they were unfounded.
”I certainly hope there is a contract in place. We own the land so we could go along and simply say the concert is not happening,” he said.
”Last year we did have a similar situation where the concert was advertised before there was a contract but again it was months before it happened and we were paid well in advance.
”I hope it will go well. I want to see Elton John there. It is good for the Isle of Man.”
In addition, he said other matters would need to be finalised with the police, highways department and other similar organisations.
”It is still six months away. But there is no doubt the concert will happen and all the promoters seem above board to me,” he added.
No one was available to comment from Marshall Arts as of press time.